My name is Jess, I am 37 years old, the mother of three wonderful teenagers, and a wife. Sounds pretty normal don’t you think? Well, here is the thing, there are many women and men out there who have their stories to tell. I have plenty of my own that is for sure. I, like many of you out there, search for my own identity outside of my family. In my search for my self here are a few things I have learned over the years to ensure that my story is not one of tragedy and woe. Sure, life has handed me plenty of it over the years, but you have a choice of how it affects you, how you cope, and how the world sees you in these times. Throughout this project and blog, I hope to share with you many of my experiences, how I learned to cope with certain things, what helped, what did not help and hopefully guide you in your own journey too.
In some ways I am conventional and others not so much, I am a stay at home mom and wife, I do the cooking, I do the cleaning [But not all of it, the kids have chores they have to do]. I believe in teaching them to be responsible in life that includes being responsible for their messes and actions. I have been married and divorced, married again and hanging on to this one for the long run. I have held several jobs over the years including but not limited to being a Child Care Coordinator and an Accountant/Office Manager for an architectural company. It took me a long time to realize that my kids needed me more at home than out of the house.
I am a photographer and a graphic designer by trade, self-taught in both, I have some college education and more life experience than I need most days. I am quirky, sarcastic, loving, forgetful, and sometimes a bit raw when it comes to emotions and views about things. I have had my hair every color of the rainbow at one time or another and tattoos. I like to think of my tattoos as part of who I am and they help tell my story to the world.
I have lost loved ones to suicide, been a survivor of loss and abuse, I am a fighter and stronger for the experiences I have faced in life. I lost my dad at a very young age and was raised by a single mom who was strong, fierce and independant. I suppose that is where I get a lot of my personality traits from. I have a low tolerance for lies and for B.S and will tell you like it is point blank if need be. I have a southern way about me but always as a traditional “Southern Lady” should be. Hate to break it to you, I will never fall under that title. I am foul mouthed for the most part but I won’t show that much in my blog, because in writing, I feel it can take away from your true message and meaning.
Oh, and I am a Deist, to be more defined, I am a Spiritual Pagan Poly Deist. Not something you hear every day is it? Well, it’s not a bad thing, trust me. I choose to believe that we as humans were given brilliant minds to make our own choices in life. From time to time I may post things in reference to my beliefs but I do not expect everyone to agree with me on my views. Come and join me on my journey in this thing called parenthood, and feel free to share your stories with us too.
Little words of wisdom that I live my life by.
- Know who you are.
- Find yourself outside of your label, whatever that label may be.
- Love who you are.
- Embrace those around you who are there to help you and create that foundation you need.
- Create a stability within yourself and find peace, without these choices in life are harder to make.
- Forgive things that are out of your control to change, now this one is very hard to do for many people.
- Forgiveness is not something that comes easily to a lot of people.
- Know that death is a part of life, it is painful in our existence but it is certain.
- Many things are uncertain and stressors in life, but finding a healthy way to deal with those things is important for your well being and mental health.
- Find someone to talk to when you are feeling alone, there is always someone willing to listen. This is one of the most important things I have learned over the years, and something you will hear me repeat often.
- And above all else, Enjoy the little things <3
“You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection”
Until next time,