My Grandma’s Coconut Cream Pie
This recipe was passed on from my Aunt to me, when we were talking about my Grandma and her cooking. This was a family favorite for many years.
Photos of the actual pie are not available yet, I will take some photos of it once I make it and I will make another recipe variation off of this one for an allergy friendly pie.
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour (or 3 tablespoons cornstarch)
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 cups milk
- 3 slightly beaten egg yolks
- 2 tbsp. butter or margarine
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 -9 inch pie crust
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, flour, and salt. Gradually stir in the milk cook and stir over medium heat
- Until mixture boils and thickens, cook 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from heat, stir a small amount of hot mixture into the egg yolks, return to the hot mixture and cook for 2 minutes stirring constantly. Remove from heat add butter and vanilla cool to room temp.
- To prevent a crust from forming cover with plastic wrap or waxed paper putting it directly on top of
- Pour into baked pie crust.
- Beat 3 egg whites with ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar and ½ tsp vanilla till soft peaks from.
- Gradually add
- 6 tablespoons of sugar beating till stiff peaks form and all sugar is dissolved.
- Spread over pie and
- Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes
Please follow and like us: