Lettuce cups are a fun and new way of adding something exciting to the menu, this no fuss, no utensil meal makes for a fun dinner everyone can enjoy!
Thai [influenced] Chicken Lettuce Cups
Fresh vegetables give this dish an extra crush and a delicious surprise, it is a great meal to help add to the menu and spice things up. Not only does this dish look pretty when it is plated, it is pleasantly filling too!
1-2 Lettuce cups
1 hour, 30 minutes
If you are not a fan of cabbage you can opt to leave those out, same with the carrots.
This is a recipe I modified so that it is nut free, a lot of Thai/Asian foods contain peanuts in their sauces and other nuts too. Be aware of that when you are looking to purchase premade sauces or looking for recipes from different countries.
*You could substitute 1/2 pound ground chicken or turkey
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts (or tenders), chopped into very small pieces*
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 1/2 cup white onion , chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 carrot , shredded
- 1/2 cup cabbage , finely shredded (red, green, or napa)
- 3 chives , chopped
- 5 shiitake mushrooms diced small
- 1 small bundle of enoki mushrooms, cleaned and separated.
- For the sauce:
- 1/3 cup sweet chili sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated ginger (or 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger)
- 2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro , chopped
- crushed red pepper flakes to taste
- For serving:
- 1 head Boston Bib lettuce (or romaine which is what we used.)
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium. I used my trust cast iron.
- Add chicken, garlic, onions, salt and pepper and cook, tossing occasionally, until chicken is cooked through.
- Add the carrots, cabbage, and green onions, and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add in the mushrooms and cook till tinder.
- In a small bowl combine the sweet chili sauce, ginger, soy sauce, and crushed red pepper.
- Stir until smooth.
- Add sauce to the pan.
- Add cilantro. toss everything until combined.
- Spoon mixture into individual lettuce cups.
Please follow and like us: