This was one of those recipes that I made on the fly and it turned out to be a hit with the family.
It’s very similar to the Frito Pie. But more along the lines of an American-Mex Dish.
It is sure to be a crow pleaser for anyone who loves the taste of chili and the easy of a casserole!
One of the great things about this dish is that is relatively allergy friendly.
It is also easy to modify if you need to make changes to suit your needs.
Mexican Chili Pie
If you are looking for something different to make and want a lot of flavors, this is the dish to make. This has the boldness of a traditional Mexican dish but the downhome feel of a southern dish all in one. It is perfect for when you want something hot on a cold day too.
1-2 Squares per person
You can add in dairy items or ground beef if you would like. This recipe is so that our son could have it too, so it is modifed to meet his needs.
- 2 lbs of ground turkey
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of pepper
- 2 packs of chili seasoning
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 can of red kidney beans
- 1 can of corn
- 1 can of enchilada sauce
- 1 cup of rice
- 1 cup of corn meal
- 1 cup of flour
- 1 1/2 cup of almond milk
- 1/4 cup of vegetable oil
- 1/4 tsp garlic
- 1 jar of salsa
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Directions are broken up into three sections:
- Preheat your oven to 350 and spray your baking dish with the nonstick spray, we don’t want that cornbread sticking to the pan.
- The Meat: Brown and cook your meat, when it is done cooking add in your chili packets, salt, pepper, garlic, kidney beans, and enchilada sauce. Turn the heat down on low and allow it to thicken up.
- The Rice: Boil the water for your rice, cook your rice as directed on its package.Once the rice is done cooking mix in the black beans, salsa, and corn to the rice. Set aside for later.
- The Cornbread topping: Mix your flour and cornmeal into a bowl with the vegetable oil, baking powder, and almond milk.
- [If you want your cornbread to be thinner rather than thicker you can add more almond milk till it is to your liking.]
- Now it is time to layer your baking dish, first, take your meat mixture and layer the bottom of the pan with it, then add in the rice layer, then top with the cornbread mixture, make sure that you cover all of the rice mixtures with the cornbread topping.
- Place your casserole pie into the oven and cook for approximately 10-15 minutes or until the cornbread topping is browned and cooked all the way through its layer.
- Cut into square serving sizes and plate, you can add cheese or sour cream on top if desired. We did both and it was delicious both ways
Please follow and like us: